SRI MANILAL NAG, PANDIT MAHAPRUSH MISRA
Sitar and Tabla: Sri Manilal Nag. Pt. Mahaprush Misra (2 CDs)
CD1 previously released as FSD2089. CD2 new title. Duo recording by veteran Monilal Nag (sitar) and the late Mahaprush Misra (tabla) recognised as the top accompanist. An ideal duo performance crossing over the entire music genre is presented in this album. Recorded in 1985.
CD1. 1. RAGA:SUHA-KANARA 2. TALA:TINTAL
CD2. 1. PURIYA DHANESHRI 2. RAGA:RAGHESHRI 3. TALA:JHAPTAL
Super Percussion of India : Ustad Zakir Hussain
Previously released as FSD2090. Joint performance by northern India's prodigious tabla player, Zakir Hussain and the young percussionists from southern India. This recording clearly shows the difference of rhythmic forms between north and south India. Includes commentary by Hussain. Recorded in 1988.
1.EK TAL:TABLA SOLO/ ZAKIR HUSSAIN 2.KHANDA CHAPU:GHATAM & KANJIRA/T.H.VINAYAKRAM 3. MISRA CHAPU:MRIDANGAM,KANJIRA,GHATAM,TABLA/ZAKIR HUSSAIN 4. AADI TALA: MRIDANGAM, KANJIRA,GHATAM,TABLA/ ZAKIR HUSSAIN 5.TABLA DEMONSTRATION:ZAKIR HUSSAIN/ZAKIR HUSSAIN
Veena Virtuoso : S. Balachander
Previously released as FSD2091. The final recording made by late Balachander, the treasury veena player of southern India. Veena, the oldest stiring instrument in India has been improved and modified by himself, which he fully demonstrates the instrument's possibilities.
1.RAGA ALAAPANAM "GAANGEYABHOOSHANI" AND KRITI "EVVARE RAAMAYYAA" 2. RAGA ALAAPANAM,THAANAM "SHADVIDHA MAARGINI" AND KRITI "PAAHI RAAMA DHOOTA"
The Art of the Sitar : Shahid Parvez
Previously released as FSD2093. Shahid Parves represents the new generation of young sitarists in etawa gharana style. With his genius being well known from his childfood, he now makes his international debut with this CD. Accompanied by Nashikant Barodekar on tabla. Recorded in 1990.
1. RAGA YAMAN:ALAP-JOR ALAP-JHALA 2. RAGA YAMAN:GAT(TINTAL) 3. RAGA JHINJOTI
PT. HARIPARASAD CHAURASIA
India : Pt. Hariparasad Chaurasia, Bansuri Virtuoso
Previously released as FSD2096. Bansuri is known for it's incomparably beautiful and gentle timbre. Pandit Hariprasad Chaurasia, who is called the 'Chopin of flute' in Europe and has the title of Padma Bhushan - living national treasure- of India, performs "Bhupali", the raga of rejoicing for the first time. Recorded in 1993.
1. RAGA BHUPALI:ALAP-JOD-JHALA 2. RAGA BHUPALI:GAT IN MATTAL(MEDIUM TEMPO)/GAT IN TEENTAL(FAST TEMPO)
The Art of Sarangi. Ud. Sultan Khan
Previously released as FSD2097.Sarangi is the most beloved in India both as solo and as accompanying instrument. Sultan Khan is one of the few maestros of this highly technical instrument which strings resonate to create a colourful effect. Recorded in 1992.
1.RAGA CHANDRAKAUNS 2.FOUR TYPES OF RAGA BHAIRAVI:SHUDHA BHAIRAVI/SINDHU BHAIRAVI/MULTANI BHAIRAVI/KATCH BHAIRAVI
CHITRAVINA N. RAVIKIRAN
Chitravina of South India : Chitravina N. Ravikiran
South India's Chitravina is said to be the world's oldest slide guitar. Its skills are difficult to master in playing Indian music, which requires the use of microtones. N. Ravikiran is a genius who quickly became popular upon starting the instrument at the age of 10. Ghatam and Mridangam's support is also required listening.
1.SHARANU SIDDHIVINAYAKA 2. ADIMUDI KAANAADA 3. ALAPANA (IMPROVISATION) 4.MARAVAIRI RAMANI 5. SHREE RAMAM 6. ALAPANA (IMPROVISATION) 7. SARASAKSHA 8. VELLAITTAAMARAI 9. ERUMAYIL (TIRUPPUGAZH)
Khayal, Hindustani Vocal Music: Bhimsen Joshi
Previously released as FSD2094. Vocal music is concidered the highest position in the Indian traditional music scene. This is a recording of Bhimsen Joshi, a great master of classical Indian vocal music. His rich voice and technique give listeners a deeply moving experience. Recorded in 1988.
1. PURIYA DHANASHRI/VILAMBIT:DRUT 2. TULSIDAS-JI KA BHAJAN 3. MARATHI ABHANG
Vina of Southern India : Chitti Babu (2 CDs)
CD1 previously released as FSD2095. CD2 new title. Vina player, Chitti Babu shows amazing virtusoic technique which is far beyond the conventional playing method. Featuring 'ragam-tanam-pallavi', a huge piece of southern Indian music tradition requiring the highest improvisational technique. Recorded in 1993.
Sarod, the Sound of Mughal Court : Aashish Khan
Previouslt released as FSD2098. Aashish Khan on sarod, the stringed instrument of India is from the most glorious school of northern Indian music scene. Himself and Pranesh Khan on tabla unveil the hidden masterpiece Raga 'Darbari Kannada'. Recorded in 1995.
1. RAGA:DARBARI KANNADA 'ALAP' 2. RAGA:DARBARI KANNADA'GAT' 3. RAGA:MISHRA BHAIRAVI
PT. BHAJAN SOPORI
Santur of North India : Pt. Bhajan Sopori
New title. A distinguished professional who created the santor's first performance techniques in Kashmir. He is a master of the santor, a hammered dulcimer of Persian and Kashmiri origin, to which he has made his own modifications. He brilliantly combines phrases of vocal and instrumental music. Recorded in 2000.
1. RAGA AHEER LALIT 1 ALAP 2 VILAMBIT GAT IN JHAPTAL 3 DRUT GAT IN TEEN TAL 2. RAGA BASANT MUKHARI 1 ALAP 2 GAT IN EKTAL 3. DADRA IN MISHR BAIRAVI 4. DHUN KAJRI DHUN
SHASHANK & ENSEMBLE
Pullankuzhal of South India : Shashank & Ensemble
Shashank and Ensemble are led by the brilliant young flautist Shashank who combines the essence of both South and North Indian music. The other artists in this wind, string and percussion ensemble are also highly acclaimed young artists, B.U. Ganesh Prasad on violin, P. Satish Kumar on mridangam, T.N. Radhakrishnan on Ghatam, Thamarakudi Rajashekar on Moorsing, and Shashank's mother, Hema Subramanyam on Tambura. Recorded in 1998.
1. VARNAM "SARASUDA NINNE" 2. KRITI "SDDHI VINAYAKAM" 3. KRITI "NANNU PALIMPA" 4. BHAJAN "NARAYANA HARI" 5. KRITI "RAGHU VAMSA"
K. SIVARAMAN AND V. NAGARAJAN
Classical Percussions of India : K. Sivaraman and V. Nagarajan
New title. This album contains some amazing South Indian percussion playing with various drums, jew's harp, plus sitar, voices and North Indian tabla. Recorded in 1991.
1. TALA MISRA-CAPA 2. TALA KHANDA-CAPA 3. TALA ADI
Music of Rajasthan : Langas & Manganiyars (2CDs)
New title. Two of the wandering entertainers groups from the desert of Rajasthan. The Langas specialize in flutes, while the Manganiyars use various drums at the forefront of their music. An album of Indian festival music. Recorded in 1988.
CD1. 1. PAPAIYA PYARARE/ LANGGA 2. GORBANDH/ LANGGA 3. MEHANDI MALIR-RI/ LANGGA 4. MIRA BHAJAN/ LANGGA 5. HALARIO/ MANGANIYARS 6. BANARO/ MANGANIYARS 7. LUNAGAR/ MANGANIYARS 8. MORU BAI/ LANGGA 9. KESARIO/ LANGGA 10. NIBURO/ LANGGA
CD2. 1. MORCHANG SOLO/ LANGGA 2. MORCHANG DUO/ LANGGA 3. KHARTAL SOLO(1)/ LANGGA 4. KHARTAL SOLO(2)/ LANGGA 5. SATARA SOLO(1)/ LANGGA 6. SATARA SOLO(2)/ LANGGA 7. SATARA DUO/ LANGGA 8. MURLI AND SARINDA/ LANGGA 9. KAMAYCHA SOLO/ LANGGA
Dhrupad, Classical Vocal Music of India : Gundecha Brothers
New title. It is said that the foundation of Indian classical music is in its vocal music. The classical vocal music Dhrupad is the core of that genre. Among this genre, the Dagar sect is especially famous for its solemn expression and the Gundencha Brothers are the head successors. The way in which the Alap develops from its serene prayer-like atmosphere into the rich intertwinement of voices is second coming of the Dagar Brothers. The Pakhawaj is also splendid. Recorded in 2003.
1. ALAP JOD JHALA 2. CHAUTAL ADITAL 3. ALAP 4. SULPHAKTATAL
MUSICIANS OF TYAGARAJA TEMPLE
Temple Music & Shanku of Tamil Nadu
New title. Said to have descended to the Tyagarajas temple 1000 years ago, the Panchamukha Vadyam consists of a vase with 5 holes of different diameter with skin stretched over it. This is the world's first recording a legendary drum which has never even before been allowed to be photographed. Not only does it include the Nagaswaram, which has been passed down only within the temple, but also the astonishing technique of the only Shanku player, TS. Mahalinga Gurukkai. Recorded in 2003.
1. NOTTUSWARA KRITI/ T. S. MAHALINGA GURUKKAL 2. MAHISHASURA-MARDINI SLOKAM/ T. S. MAHALINGA GURUKKAL 3. SAMAVEDA/ T. S. MAHALINGA GURUKKAL 4. SENTAMIL NADU/ T. S. MAHALINGA GURUKKAL 5. AJAPA NATANAM/ T. S. MAHALINGA GURUKKAL 6. MUSIC FOR THE PROCESSION IN THE TYAGARAJA TEMPLE/ MONKS OF THE TYAGARAJA TEMPLE,THE 7. MUSIC FOR THE RITUAL IN THE TYAGARAJA TEMPLE/ MONKS OF THE TYAGARAJA TEMPLE,THE 8. PANCHAMUKHA VADYAM SOLO BY S. SELVARAJ/ MONKS OF THE TYAGARAJA TEMPLE,THE 9. KRITI: VALLABHANAYAKASYA/ MONKS OF THE TYAGARAJA TEMPLE,THE 10. KRITI: KAMALAMBIKAYASTAVA/ MONKS OF THE TYAGARAJA TEMPLE,THE 11. KRITI: TYAGARAJA/ MONKS OF THE TYAGARAJA TEMPLE,THE
Kathak is the main classical dance from North India, developed in the temples. The word 'kathak' comes from the original Sanskrit word 'kathakar' which means a storyteller. The music, with some Islamic influences is equally engaging, the main accompanying instruments being tabla, sarangi, pakhawaj, harmonium, sitar, sarod, and various flutes. Recorded in 1983.
Music of Bauls of Bengal
New title. The musical culture and lifestyle of the Bauls has deeply inspired village life in Bengal. Their singing style is linked to other Bengali folk culture, from tribal to village, yet has developed into a distinctive sound, which when combined with dance, is designed to melt the soul of the listener. The instruments include the ektara, (one string), duggi (kettle drum) gopi yantra (2 stringed instrument), sarinda (4 stringed bow) and kartal (small cymbals). Recorded in 1977.
1. HARITATVA AHVAN/ HAREKRISHNA DAS 2. PREMKARASAI AMAR HOILONA/ HAREKRISHNA DAS 3. BHATIYALI/ HAREKRISHNA DAS 4. AISTA KOI ROISA BANDHU KYA TUI NA AILA/ HAREKRISHNA DAS 5. GALASHADA/ DEENA BANDU DAS 6. GUCHATATVA/ DEENA BANDU DAS 7. MANABTATVA/ DEENA BANDU DAS 8. IMAN CLASSIC(DOTARA SOLO)/ DEENA BANDU DAS 9. AMI KI HERILAM JALER GHATE/ PRAHLAD BRAH 10. BHAWAIYA"MOSH RAKHO MOISHAL BANDHU"/ PRAHLAD BRAH 11. MALOKA MATHAY DELO GHOMTA/ PRAHLAD BRAH
JAFFER HUSSAIN KHAN
The Great Qawwal : Jaffar Hussain Khan
Previously released as FSD2092. Qawwali, and Islam "gospel" sang by Jaffar Hussain Khan. Its origin goes back to the poet-musician Amir Khusrau in the 13th century. Having a background of classic vocal techniques, Khan draws the listener into religious intoxication.
1. MAN KUNTO MAULA 2. APNE MALIK KA NAM 3. BHAR GHI KE DIE NA 4. E RI SAKHI 5. RAT-BHAR MUJH KO
Love and Life in the Punjab : Gurmeet Bawa
Previously released as FSD2099. In India there are traditions of coulurful folksong as well as classical music. This is a recording of Punjab region folksongs sung by diva Gurmmet Bawa. With powerful melodies on tight rhythms, Bawa's rich voice can astonish listeners. Recorded in 1988.
1. JUGANI 2. PANIA NU 3. RATA KAHIRA DI 4. MALAKI KIMA 5. SASSI PUNU 6. GHORI 7. LIA DE CAMBA 8. DIGA PAI 9. BOLIA
Festive Drums of Kerala : Maniyan Marar
Previously released as FSD2101. This recording focuses on the unique percussion groups of Kerala. As with the other kinds of performing arts in this region, percussion plays an important role in temple ceromonies. This is the rhythmic explosion of the Kerala festive drums.
1. PANCHAVADYAM 2. THAYAMPAKA 3. TALAVADYAM
MOHAMMAD SUBHAN RATHORE
Pakistan / The Rubab of Kashmir : Mohammad Subhan Rathore
Previously released as FSD3202. Kashmir is located in the northwestern region of the Indian subcontinent. This is a recording of Ghazal, songs of love and the rubab performance by an outstanding musician, Subhan Rathore. Recorded in 1981.
1. RAG KIRWANI 2. GHAZAL "I DID NOT KNOW THE GOD" 3. RAG BHAIRAW 4. GHAZAL "MY LOVER'S BEAUTY" 5. GHAZAL "MY HEART IS BURNING"
MEHR ALI & SHER ALI
Soul of Qawwali Devotional Music of Sufism from Pakistan - Mehr Ali & Sher Ali (2 CDs)
Was £26.99. New title. Brothers, Mehr Ali and Sher Ali, are one of the few who were not affected by the chaotic atmosphere of Qawwali in Pakistan, following the death of Nusrat. A collaboration of the ecstatic dancing orchestra, Dhammal, and Qawwl. Also starring Kali (and interpretive reader of the Qur'an) it is a live recording of the attempt to reproduce the festival of Punjab region's Saint, Urs. Recorded in 2004.
1. QIR'AT [THE 4 QULS]: RECITATION OF THE SACRED BOOK"QUR'AN (KORAN)"/ SYED SADAQAT ALI 2. NA'T: RECITATION OF A HYMN IN PRAISE OF THE PROPHET MUHAMMAD/ SYED SADAQAT ALI 3. PESHKAR: WELCOMING THE "PIR". SPIRITUAL MASTER OF THE CEREMONY/ 5-STAR MUSICAL GROUP 4. QAUL: MAN KUNTO MAULA (I AM THE GUIDE. AFTER ME ALI IS THE GUIDE)/ MEHR ALI & SHER ALI QAWWALI ENSEMBLE 5. KAFI: MERE E CHARKHA NAULAKHA KURE (GIRL. THE SPINNING WHEEL OF MINE IS PRICELESS)/ MEHR ALI & SHER ALI QAWWALI ENSEMBLE 6. KAFI: MERA PIYA GHAR AYA (MY LOVER HAS COME TO MY HOUSE!)/ MEHR ALI & SHER ALI QAWWALI ENSEMBLE 7. KAFI:TUN NERE NERE WAS WE DHOLAN YAR(MY BELOVED. LIVE MORE NEAR BY ME)/ MEHR ALI & SHER ALI QAWWALI ENSEMBLE 8. RANG:AAJ RANG HAI(TODAY THERE IS COLOUR)/ MEHR ALI & SHER ALI QAWWALI ENSEMBLE 9. DHAMMAL OF LAL SHAHBAZ QALANDAR(ECSTATIC DANCE OF THE SUFI SAINT LAL SHAHBAZ QALANDAR"RED FALCON/ MEHR ALI & SHER ALI QAWWALI ENSEMBLE 10. DHAMMAL & SAIF UL MULUK/ 5-STAR MUSICAL GROUP 11. DU'A: PRAYER FOR PEACE/ PIR KHWAJA GHULAM QUTUB-UD-DIN FARIDI
Ghazal from Pakistan : Asia Saman
Previously released as FSD2102. Asia Saman, a Pakistani singer from the center of gazhal makes her world debut accompanied by superb musicians, Samamat Husain on bansri and Allah Rakha Khan on sarangi. This CD also introduces the real Urudu Ghazal, the light classical music of north India. Recorded in 1995.
1. APNE HATHON KI LAKIRON MEN BASALE MUJH KO 2. DOSTON KI ANJMAN HAI ASHNA KOI NAHIN 3. TERE GHAM RAHE SALAMAT MERE DIL KI KYA KAMI HAI 4. PAYAM AYE HAIN US YAR BEWAFA KE MUJHE 5. TERI TALASH SE DIWANE BAR ANE SAKE 6. YEH BHUL HUI BHULE SE KABHI BAM TERI TAMANNA KAR BHAITE
Music in the Karakoram (North Pakistan)
New title. Music from the mountainous Karakoram region of Northen Pakistan. It is said that some instruments including the sitar, have their origins here. A rare recording. Recorded in 1980.
1. RUBAB AND VOICE "WAQET DIYAKA"/ HASHIM SHAH 2. SITAR SOLO "NAZIM KHANA DANI"/ HAIDER KHAN 3. GHIGINI AND VOICE "HAFIZA BYT"/ HASHIM SHAH 4. DANCE AND PREDICTION OF BITAN (SHAMAN)/ BITAN RAHIM 5. MUSIC FOR POLO-GAME "BULA HINZIR DANI (THAP DANI)"/ SHAKUR ALI 6. CHOGO PRASUL/ USTAD GHULAM AL 7. HAREEB "STRAQPA RGHUF CHOS"/ USTAD GHULAM AL 8. FOLKSONGS OF BALTISTAN"HLABYU NGU"-"DIWAN"-"KHULO"/ HAIDER KHAN 9. FOLKSONGS OF BALTISTAN"RGIANG HLU"-"DIWAN"-"GHAZAL"/ GHULAM HAIDER NAMBARDAR 10. HAREEB
Folk Music of Nepal
Previously released as FSD2088. A collection of traditional musical performances, this album contains Gaine musicians and popular singers from Katmandu, treasured traditions from this multiracial country. Recorded in 1993.
1. RUNCHIN CELI ASUKO DHARALE 2. AMALE SODHLIN KHA I CHORA BHANLIN 3. KRSNA LILA 4. BELI CAMLI 5. PHULA MAYA MA NA BHULA 6. JHAMKAU RODI GHAR 7. WACHU GALLI 8. WANE TELA JILA THAU KALAYA THA CHE 9. LYAYAM DAJU 10. AYO BALMA 11. RELLAI SALALA 12. TYANKULI 13. MOHANI BHAKALE 14. LEKHAI PHULYO DHOVI SALLA 15. LAKHE DHUN 16. MADAL TARANG