A Tribute to Saloma
Tribute to the Malaysian/Singaporean singer Saloma, ex-wife of another great P. Ramlee, who was popular in Malaysia from the 1950s until the 1980s. Released to coincide with a big budget biopic in Malaysia which has increased her popularity, especially with young people. This tribute features mostly contemporary rock groups and pop singers with only a dabbling of the more rootsy, traditional sounding style of Saloma herself. Includes Saloma on the final track.
1. Hanzama - Airmata Di Kuala Lumpur 2. Aweera - Aku, Dia Dan Lagu 3. AKIM - Biarlah Aku Pergi 4. The Typewriter & Azlan - Malam Terakhir 5. The Lomas - Bila Larut Malam 6. Rafidah Ibrahim - Mengapa Di Rindu 7. Amy Matsura - Bossanova 8. Persis - Apa Guna Berjanji 9. Numerus - Ada Ubi Ada Batas 10. Saloma - Istana Cinta
Tak Mungkin Hujan Balik Ke Langit
From Kedah, Malaysia, Nassier Wahab was a popular singer during the 1980s. Produced by S.Atan, responsible for many hits of the period that combined Malay roots and modern sounds.
1. Tak Mungkin Hujan Balik Ke Langit 2. Joget Hati Berkenan 3. Mas Merah 4. Sulaman Asmara 5. Detik Kerinduan 6. Dondang Desa Warisan 7. Pancaran Desa 8. Joget Kasih Sempurna 9. Keroncong Kasih Abadi 10. Bila Hati Terluka 11. Keroncong Kerinduan 12. Joget Hati Berkenan (Instrumental) 13. Keroncong Kasih Abadi 14. Sulaman Asmara (Instrumental) 15. Tak Mungkin Hujan Balik Ke Langit (Instrumental)
Rock Dang Dangdut XPDC Style
Malaysian rock and heavy metal versions of dangdut classics. Originals were sung by Rhoma Irama, Elvy Sukaesih and others, and take on a new lease of life
1. Ary (Fahrenheit) - Kopi Dangdut 2. Kristal - Rindu 3. Ija - Penasaran 4. Yabang - Cubit-Cubitan 5. Abot - Penawar Rindu 6. Yabang - Aku Semut Merah 7. Faizul (Rock Orang Kampuang) - Boneka India 8. Abot - Kerana Pengalaman 9. Ary (Fahrenheit) - Asam Di Gunung Garam Di Laut 10. Ary (Fahrenheit) - Cinta Sabun Mandi 11. Abot - Cintaku Terbahagi Dua 12. Kristal - Sejati 13. Kristal - Cinta 14. Kristal - Insan
101 Etnik Melayu (5 CDs)
101 tracks over 5 CDs of Malaysian songs with an 'ethnic' flavour. Artists include P.Ramlee, Saloma, Zaleha Hamid and S.M. Salim. Recordings date from the 1970s-90s on the Warner and EMI labels.
Super Dangdut (3 CDs)
3 CD compilation of the biggest stars of Malaysian dangdut.
1. Ani Maiyuni - Ada Cinta 2. Amelina, Eva & Intan - Aduh Buyung 3. Amelina - Ah Rindu Lagi 4. Ani & Iwan - Aku Cinta Padamu 5. Sheeda - Angkat Kaki 6. Ani - Apa Mahumu 7. Mas Idayu - Arjuna 8. Amelina - Asyik 9. Mas Idayu - Atas Nama Hujan 10. Iwan - Benang Biru 11. Mas Idayu - Boleh Lah Boleh 12. Sheeda - Buaya Darat 13. Eva - Bulan Cinta 14. Amelina - Cinta Bukan Sayur Asam 15. Iwan - Cinta Tak Keruan 16. Mas Idayu - Cintaku 100%
1. Ani Maiyuni - Dendang Cinta 2. Eva - 1001 Cinta 3. Amelina - Di Dadaku Ada Kamu 4. Mas Idayu - Dunia Cinta 5. Sheeda & Iwan - Gadis Atau Jandi 6. Amelina - Gendang Gendut 7. Amelina - Hangayntya Cinta 8. Mas Idayu - Hasrat Perindu 9. Eva - Jangan Bersandiwara 10. Ani Maiyuni - Kecewa Rasanya 11. Iwan - Lagu Hit Buatmu 12. Sheeda - Maznun 13. Amelina & Iwan - Memori Daun Pisang 14. Ani Maiyuni - Mengigil 15. Sheeda - Panas Dingin 16. Amelina - Rindu
1. Mas Idayu - Robek Hatiku 2. Amelina & Sheeda - Sini Cinta Sana Cinta 3. Mas Idayu - Sang Kasanova Cinta 4. Amelina & Sheed - Secangkir Madu Merah 5. Iwan - Sedang Sedang Saja 6. Ani - Sedap 7. Iwan - Sekedar Bertanya 8. Mas Idayu - Selangit 9. Amelina - Semakin Rindu Semakin Asyik 10. Mas Idayu - Senggol Sengolan, Cubit Cubitan 11. Iwan & Amelina - Sepayung Berdua 12. Ani - Terpesona 13. Eva - Tinang Tinong 14. Iwan - Tung Keripit 15. Amelina - Yang Undah Yang Hangat 16. Amelina & Iwan - Yang Tersayang
Pop Yeh Yeh, Pujaan 60an (6CDs)
Six CD compilation of pop yeh yeh, popular western influenced music popular in Malaysia, Singapore and Brunei in the 1960s. The term itself comes from the Beatles - She Loves You (yeah, yeah,yeah) although this term was coined in the revival of pop yeh-yeh in the 1980s.
26 Tahun (2 CDs)
Veteran Malay female singer who is celebrating her 26th year as a singer. This album showcases her dangdut, kroncong, Malay pop and Malay traditional style songs.
1. Kau Kunci Cinta Ku Di Dalam Hati Mu 2. Cinta Ku Hanyut Di Lautan Sepi 3. Ku Terbakar Kepanasan Cinta Mu 4. Ketentuan 5. Jendela Di Kamar Usang 6. Kasih Tak Berpinggir 7. Keangkuhan Mu 8. Duri Dalam Cinta 9. Siapa Yang Bersalah 10. Sekeping Cinta Sehampar Janji 11. Zapin Yang Tinggal 12. Madah Dan Kerenah
1. Selamat Jalan Romeo 2. Dirgahayu 3. Gurindam Jiwa 4. Ala Canggung 5. Antara Kasih, Sayang & Cinta 6. Sampai Bila Ku Ingat 7. Fikirkan Bersama 8. Rindu Belaian 9. Kekasih 10. Apa Khabar Mu Di Sana 11. Diam Diam Jatuh Cinta 12. S.A.Y.A..N.G.
Superb album from 1998 by one of the Malaysian singing stars of the 1980s and 90s who helped to spawn a vibrant local music scene.
SITI NURHALIZA, NORANIZA IDRIS, NATASHA
Pilihan Terbaik Rentak Zapin
Three Malaysian female singers' modern versions of the traditional Zapin dance style of Johor and other states. Zapin is believed to have Arabic origins, introduced into Malaysia in the fifteenth century, Excellent compilation of the best of modern Malaysian roots music.
1. Zapin Cinta Asmara / Siti Nurhaliza 2. Zapin Pusaka / Noraniza Idris 3. Awallah Dondang / Noraniza Idris 4. Ya Maulai / Siti Nurhaliza 5. Cindai / Siti Nurhaliza 6. Zapin Bahari / Natasha 7. Bunga Melor / Siti Nurhaliza 8. Ya Salam / Noraniza Idris 9. Ya Allah Ya Saidi / Noraniza Idris 10. Dondang Dendang / Siti Nurhaliza & Noraniza Idris 11. Semali Rimba / Noraniza Idris 12. Sapta / Noraniza Idris 13. Canggai / Siti Nurhariza 14. Syair Kamelia / Siti Nurhaliza
P.Ramlee Satu Indiepretasi
Collaboration with Malaysian music radio station XFM, with popular artists from the Malay indie scene recording the songs of P.Ramlee. 18 tracks including a super band created for the project, The Ramlees, consisting of Liyana Fizi, Mira, Yuna and Najwa, plus local artists including Hujan, Bittersweet, Meet Uncle Hussain, Azian & The Typewriter, Seven Collar T-Shirt, Yuna, Monoloque and Altiment.
1. Hujan -Tunggu Sekejab 2. SevenCollar T-Shirt - Jangan Tinggal Daku 3. One Buck Short - Pok Pok Bujang Lapok 4. Couple - Menceceh Bujang Lapok 5. Altimet - Maafkan Kami 6. Subculture - Bunyi Guitar 7. Monoloque - Tiada Kata Secantik Bahasa 8. Azlan and The Typewriter feat. AG & Co - Jeritan Batinku 9. Bittersweet - Getaran Jiwa 10. Pesawat - Ai Ai Ai Twist 11. Kugiran D'Tepi Pantai - Nujum Pak Belalang 12. Pop Shuvit - Aci- Aci Buka Pintu 13. Awanband - Malam Bulan Dipagar Bintang 14. Grey Sky Morning - Malam Pesta Muda-Mudi 15. They Will Kill Us All - Sepanjang Riwayatku 16. Yuna - Gelora Jiwa 17. Meet Uncle Hussain - Ya Habibi Ali Baba 18. The Ramlees - Itulah Sayang
Legendary Malaysian crooner, the king of Malay folk music who has collaborated with younger stars such as Siti Nurhaliza and on this album Zainal Abidin.
The Best of Instrumental
Instrumental versions of Malaysian folk songs and other Malay tunes played on suling flute, guitar, accordion and sax.
Celebrating 25 years as a leading Malay singer, this is a best of live album of material ranging from P. Ramlee to western songs. Originally released in 1993.
1. Gemilang 2. Persis 3. Selamanya 4. Roberta Flack Medley 5. You Should Know by Now 6. Aku Cinta Pada Mu 7. Dia 8. Gerimis Semalam 9. Bunyi Gitar 10. Tunggu Sekejap 11. Sinaran 12. Ratu ( A Glimpse of).
Cinta Jangan Kau Pergi
Best album from 1996 not released in Malaysia, but in Indonesia, featuring material from her debut in 1985 until 1996.
1. Cinta Jangan Kau Pergi 2. Nada 3. Wanita 4. Embun 5. Kasih 6. Dia 7. Bahagia 8. Mengapa Kasih 9. Kita Bersama 10. Ratu 11. Di Sisi Daku 12. Hadirmu 13. Harum 14. Tandanya Tandatanya
Greatest Hits (2 CDs)
Ella is the undisputed Malaysian 'Queen of Rock', selling more records than any other artist with a string of hit albums and singles since the mid 1980s. 2 CD compilation that charts her success with all her biggest hits.
Greatest hits compilation of 'nostalgic hits' from the legendary Sharifah Aini who has released over 100 albums. Mix of Malay, Arabic and Indian elements. 15 tracks.
Memori Hit (2 CDs)
Brilliant 2 CD compilation of the hits of Zaleha Hamid. Early Malay hits that combined western rock 'n' roll with Malay flavours. 30 tracks.
Born in 1986, Syura is one of the latest of the young Malyasian female singers who cross the divide between traditional and pop. She made her first record back in 1999 and had a big hit in 2000 together with Siti Nordiana. On this album she sings traditional Malaysian songs, with the help of one of the big names in new tradtitional music, Pak Ngah. Includes duet with Siti Nordiana. 10 tracks.
Traditional album from the meliflous voiced singer Syra. Produced by the two big names of the genre, Pak Ngah and S.Atan.
On her second album, Nas Adila sings pop, R & B, Malaysian style rock and ballads. Less of the traditional music on her first album. 11 tracks.
Mohamad Nasir Mohamad, more commonly known as M. Nasir, was born in Singapore in 1957. He made his first record in 1979 and ever since has been one of Malaysia's most loved singers and songwriters. He's always been creating and experimenting with Malaysian roots music and this album combines the Malaysian joget rhythms with other local dance styles and Indonesian kroncong.
Betty Banafe is a Malaysian actress and singer from Johor. This is her first major album and features strong Arabic flavours with darbucka, oud and a string section behind her beguiling voice. Excellent album that shows another side to the music of Malaysia.
Singapore born Anita Sarawak has been a star in Singapore and Malaysia since the 1970s until the present day. This album includes some of her greatest hits from the early years with a mix of pop, soul and covers of western tunes. 2 CD collection.
Was £21.99. Third album from the excellent Anis Suraya, in similar mode to Siti Nurhaliza and Noraniza Idris, created with the help of some of Malaysia's top producers and songwriters such as Adnan Abu Hassan. Won the Voice of Asia competition in Kazakhstan! More pop than roots.
Anis Suraya is one of Malaysia's top female vocalists. She is from the same camp as Siti Nurhaliza, using some of the same producers and songwriters. This is one of her best albums from a few years back.
Compilation of Malaysian and Indonesian pop from Malaysia's Suria Records. Artists include Malaysia's female singers Siti Nurhaliza, Liza Hanim and Anis Suraya, with previously unreleased tracks, and from Indonesia one of the most popular female singers Rossa and the pop rock band from Bandung, Peterpan.
Pop Tradisional Hitz Akordion
Pak Ngah (also known as Suhaimi Md. Zain) is a top composer and one of the best players of an instrument central to many of the traditional Malay styles and dances, the accordion. He has produced stars of the Irama Malaysia (Malaysian beat) scene, Siti Nurhaliza and Noraniza Idris. On this solo album he plays many of those traditional styles within a modern framework.
Legendary accordion player/producer makes a fine solo album showcasing various Malay folk tunes.Instrumental.
Macam-Macam Pun Ada
Salih Yaacob has been mixing Malay music and Indonesian dangdut with large doses of comedy for over two decades. He sings in a kind of rap, the music sprightly and funky, with enough rootsy sounds to distinguish it from the other Malay dangdut artists. This compilation includes some of his biggest hits such as Jangan Sondol, some written by the king of dangdut Rhoma Irama and other funky Malay and dangdut tunes, with some other surprising influences such as flamenco. 10 tracks.
10 Best of the Best
Malek Ridzuan sings a mix of pop and rootsy Malay tunes, some with a dangdut feel. Mixture of uptempo and ballands on this diverse album from a veteran of the contemporary Malay music scene. Click here to email for availability
Mega Duet - Super Dangdut
10 track compilation of recent disco dangdut hits. Irristible catchy tracks from Irwan E and Lilles KC, Doyok and Ernie, Doel Sumbang and Reza Rezita, Lilies KC and Basuki, Rano Karno and Kiki Fatmala among others.
Dari Masa Hingga Masa
Zaleha Hamid is one of the first and best female singers of Malaysian contemporary roots music, especially with a dangdut feel, a style that originated in Indonesia. This is one of those groundbreaking albums recorded in 1985, which still sounds as fresh as ever. Produced by accordion player S.Atan, Zaleha sings classics by Elfi S.and P.Ramlee, tunes written by S.Atan and other Malaysian songs arranged into a Malay dangdut style. Click here to email for availability
Malaysia has been waiting for a new singer for a while since Noraniza Idris or Siti Nurhaliza made waves with their modern blend of Malyasian roots music. Nas Adila fits the bill, singing, beautifully, Malay traditional songs that appeal to a young audience. This album has become extremely topical in Malaysia, once again making people appreciate the country's colourful and rich traditions. A stellar cast of supporting musicians incuding the omnipresent accordion player and composer S.Atan.
Takkan Melayu Hilang Di Dunia
Wonderful album of Malay songs with mainly accordion and orchestral accompaniment. Great female vocals from a veteran of the scene on an album that blends Malay traditions with western influences.
In the late 1960s an Anglo-American pop craze emerged in Malaysia called pop yeh yeh. Also making her first recordings at this time was Sharifah Aini, singing local mainstream pop. Aini went on to sing dangdut and rootsy Malaysian styles, but this album is of her earlier recordings. Click here to email for availability
Lagu Cinta Palin Romantis
Compilation of Malaysian ballads, sung by many of the best known female singers from the 1970s to the most recent, including Siti Nurhaliza and Sheila Majid. 2 CD collection, 36 tracks. Click here to email for availability
ABDUDALLAH CHIK, ZALEHA HAMID, NORANIZA IDRIS
Lagu-Lagu Filem Dan Kenangan Lama
Male and female vocal duets of well known film songs. Click here to email for availability
It's 10 years since the excellent Liza Hanim burst upon the Malay music scene. While not reaching the popularity level of Siti Nurhaliza, or the talent for traditional Malay material of Noraniza Idris, she sits somewhere between the two of them and on this album sings a mixture of pop, r&B and Malay style ballads.
Syrupy pop from a singer capable of much better, even singing in English at the end. She might be popular in Malaysia, but this album is not for a western audience.
Excellent album of Malaysian pop by another singer leading the current trend for roots music. Still in her early 20s , Hanim has a wonderful voice, the backing is mainly Arabic sounding, with some songs more westernized pop than others.
Another of the young generation of Malayasian singers currently riding the crest of the wave of the popularity of Malay pop with Arabic, Indian and other influences. Malaysian musicians are currently producing just about the best music in Asia right now.
Young female singer, joining rennaisance of Malay music. Mix of Asian and western music.
Singaporean Dick Lee's 2003 release. These days he is probably best known as a judge on Singapore Idol. This is considered one of his best albums.
1. Moon Gate 2. Celadon 3. Lotus 4. Carp 5. Archipelago 6. Willow 7. Cloud 8. Blossom 9. Incense 10. Pagoda 11. Rice