The Soul of Mbira
Recorded in 1972, first volume of Paul Berliner's recordings of the mbira (thumb piano). Music for entertainment, meditation, religious and ceremonial occasions.
1. Nhemamusasa 2. Taireva 3. Nyamaropa 4. Kuyadya Hove Kune Mazove 5. Mbiriviri 6. Nhimutimu 7. Nyamaropa yeVana Vava Mushonga 8. Dangurangu 9. Kumakudo
Shona Mbira Music
Recorded in 1977. The second volume of Paul Berliner's recordings of the mbira. Features the mbira dzavadzimu, performed by a leading ensemble featuring soloist Hakurotwi Mude. 8 tracks.
DUMISANI ABRAHAM MARAIRE
The African Mbira
Recorded in 1971. The mbira, the gourd resonating thumb piano, is central to the Shona culture, introduced to many in the west via this album. The late Dumisani Abraham Maraire would later perform with the Kronos Quartet on Pieces of Africa.
1. Kana Ndoda Kuramba Murume 2. Tipe Tizwe 3. Misorodzi 4. Gumbukumbu 5. Ndini Baba 6. Urombo
Burundi -Music from the Heart of Africa
Recorded in 1974. Songs, Hutu rhythms, Watusi dance and the sounds of ikembe, flute, fiddle, zitrhers and drums. Recorded just before the hostilities that decimated the population.
1. Yes, I Love Micombero 2. Bernadette 3. Bees 4. Shepherds Flute 5. Walking Tune 6. Hail to Micombero 7. Bernadette II 8. Take Me Back to Mabayi 9. Warriors of the Drum 10. Master Alois 11. Walking Troubadour 12. Micombero
Africa - Ceremonial & Folk Music : Uganda, Kenya and Tanzania
Recorded in 1975. Drumming, instrumental and vocal music from Uganda, Kenya and the Wagogo land of central Tanzania.
1. Acholi Bwala Dance 2. Aluar Horns 3. Enanga 4. Giraffe Song 5. Turkana Songs 6. El Molo Hippo Song 7. Samburu Warriors Initiation 8. Masai Women 9. Masai Raiding Songs 10. Emosiroi 11. Wagogo Soothing Song 12. Wagogo Song 13. Wagogo Tune
Africa - Witchcraft & Ritual Music
Recorded in 1975. Produced by David Fanshawe. An examination of how music and medicine combined in the practice of witchcraft in a region whose traditions were then largely unknown, and a musical heritage that is now nearly extinct. 16 tracks.
Africa - Drum, Chant & Instrumental Music
Recorded in 1975. The animated ceremonial and ritual music of Niger, Mali and Burkina Faso. Features pitched drum master Isah Hamani, field recordings of work songs, mistrel tunes and other folk tunes. 16 tracks.
Africa - Ancient Ceremonies Dance Music & Songs of Ghana
Recorded in 1979. Griots play an indespensable role in Ghanian rites and passages. Through proverbs and songs heard on this CD, they preserve local philosophy, events and people of the community's past.
1. Dogumbo Song 2. Dzil Duet 3. Gonje Songs 4. Donno Drummers 5. Kassena-Nankani Festival 6. Ahanta Chant I 7. Ahanta Chant II 8. Wiiks and Mpintintoa 9. Marilli 10. Chohun and Gyamadudu 11. Donno Drummers