Aloha, My Friend 'Alani
Yuki Yamauchi collaborates with Hawaiian stars such as Alden Levi, Kenneth Makuakane, Nathan Aweau, Keao Costa, Barry Flanagan, Irona Irvine. It also includes instrumental songs played solo by Yamauchi on steel guitar and slack key guitar.
1. Maile Swing(Keao Costa) 2. Kealii's Mele(Instrumental) 3. Heha Waipio(Alden Levi) 4. Koula(Nathan Aweau) 5. Sweet Memory~E Pili Mai~Pua 'Olena(Instrumental) 6. Kona(Ilona Irvine) 7. Ahi Wela(Kenneth Makuakane) 8. Pa'auau Waltz(Instrumental) 9. Hanalei Moon(Barry Flanagan) 10. He Hawai'i Au(Alden Levi) 11. Sand(Instrumental) 12. Kipu Kai(Keao Costa) 13. Hawai'I Calls(Nathan Aweau) 14. The Entertainer(Instrumental) 15. In a Church, In an Old Hawaiian Town(Ilona Irvine) 16. Aloha Chant(Instrumental)
Alo Alo No Lei / Ethel Nakada no Tropical Poem
Best of album from one of the most popular Japanese Hawaiian singers, a pioneer of Hawaiin music during the 1950s.
1. Kaimana Hira 2. Nangoku no Yoru 3. Tsuki no Yoruwa 4. Hawaii no Kekkon no Uta 5. Tiny Boubles 6. Chiisana Take no Hashi 7. Dahirusayo 8. Ai no Morning Due 9. Lahaina Luna 10. Wakare no Isochidori 11. Bali Bali no Hamabede 12. Hula wa Tanoshi (Do In The Hula) 13. Blue Moo Moo 14. Sangosho no Kanata 15. Fune o Koide 16. Hanalei no Tsuki 17. Hawaii no Yoru 18. Puka Shels 19. Omoide wa Itsumademo 20. Suteki na Aloha o Anatani 21. Sayonara wa Iwanaide, Aloha Oe
In the Mood for Hawaii
Gota Yashiki's guitar instrumental album of Hawaiian music with elements of surf music, resort music and healing music.
1. Cavatina 2. Hawaii Love? 3. 'sLuck on Board 's 4. Send to Hawaii 5. Hawaiian God 6. Soul Healer 7. Float on D 8. Lay Off 9. AW Cool 10. Let It Flow 11.Turtle Bay 12. Mitz Rock
Sandii's Showa Hawaiian Ukulele Dreaming 2 (CD + DVD)
Sandii covers Hawaiian hit songs from the Showa period.
1. Kahakai 2. On A Tropic Night 3. On The Beach at Bali Bali 4. Blue Hawaii 5. Kuma Lehua (Lehua Tree) 6. Natsu no Hi no Omoide 7. Sophisticated Hula 8. Kaimanahira 9. He Lani (Heaven) 10. Love Song of Kaula 11. Shiawase wa Kokoni 12. On A Little Bamboo Bridge 13. Ha'ale (Rippling) 14. Beyond The Reef 15. Here is Happiness 16. Maile (Calm) 17. Sweet Leilani 18. The Birth Of Paradise
Sandii's Hawaii 5th
Excellent album of Hawaiian music from the wonderful Sandii. Recorded mainly in Hawaii with Hawaiian musicians, plus Yuki 'Alani' Yamauchi. Sandii's Hawaiian 5th contains mostly hula standards, that Sandii describes as her 'alohatherapy'. Quality singing and musicianship.
1. Sway it Hula Girl 2. Royal Hawaiian Hotel 3. Manumele Dance 4. Waika 5. Ahuli'i 6. Pua Hone 7. Pua 'Olena 8. Ipo Leimomi 9. Ka'ililauokekoa 10. Lei Pikake 11. He Punahele No 12. Ku'u Le Onaona 13. Alika 14. Kailua 15. Hula O Make'e 16. Waipio 17. Alekoki 18. Henehene Kou Aka 19. Nani Hanalei 20. Ana Hola 21. Hawai'i Aloha
SETSUO OHASHI & HONEY ISLANDERS
Setsuo Ohashi & Honey Islanders Golden Best
Fantastic best of album by Setsuo Ohashi, a singer/steel guitar player and pioneer of Hawaiian music in Japan. Ohashi did much to popularize Hawaiian music in Japan following the second world war.
1. Hawaiian March 2. Shiawase wa Kokoni 3. Akai Lei 4. Emerald no Tsuki 5. Ano Hoshi wa Mama no Hoshi 6. Honolulu Musume 7. Mizuiro no Kawamo ni 8. Hoshi no Lei 9. Owakare no Uta 10. Gakuyu no Ie 11. Kagero Moete 12. Nagisa 13. Shibaraku 14. Hoshi no furu Mado 15. Mori no Komichi 16. Suzukake no Michi 17. Piano (with Estrelita) 18. Shiawase wa Kokoni, Omae ni Yowainda 19. Tokyo no Yuhi 20. Aloha Ukulele 21. Sayonara to Iwanaide 22. Goodbye Honolulu
1. Honey March 2. Neppu 3. Caravan 4. Hamabe no Uta 5. Besame Mucho 6. Kuroi Hitomi 7. Ringo no Kino Shitade 8. Begin The Begin 9. Suteki na Anata 10. Barairo no Jinsei 11. Kareha 12. Yotsuyu no Shinobiai 13. Yume Sarinu 14. Yama no Rosaria 15. Estrelita 16. Green Sleeves 17. Corolado no Tsuki 18. Sangosho no Kanata 19. Blue Hawaii 20. Nangoku no Yoru 21. Hawaii no Kekkonshiki no Uta 22. Aloha Oe
Hula Hula Vol. 2 - I Ka Poli Pumehana
Second album of traditional hula songs performed by the wonderful Sandii.
1. Chant - Ho''otaputapu I 'O Nalani 2. Green Rose Hula 3. Pua Lililehua 4. Puakea 5. Ka Uluwehi O Ke Ke 6. To'u Tino E 7. Aloha Kaua'i 8. I Ka Poli Pumehana 9. Tropical Dream - I Te Ha'amataraa 10. Karau Katika
Hula Hula Vol. 3 - Mele Hula Kalikimaka
Volume 3 of traditional hula songs.
1. Mele Hula Kalikimake 2. Sophisticated Hula 3. Kananaka 4. Nohili 5. Honolulu 6. The Beauty Hula 7. Moana Nui 8. Tuka Atu-ViniVini
Hirara - with Limited Edition Signed Postcard and DVD
Second album from Sandiibunbun, Sandii's project with kalimba player Bun of the group Koh-Tao. This album also features the percussion ensemble Earth Conscious. 12 tracks of mostly new songs influenced by music from Hawaii, Tahiti and Okinawa. At the moment, comes with limited edition signed postcard and DVD. DVD is titled Heart of Paradise and features spectacular live footage of Sandiibunbu from Tokyo's Orchard Hall and recording of this album.
1. Mele O Ka Makani Mahalo 2. Makali'i 3. Maeva Manava 4. Kirakira Happy Birthday 5. Sangonosanran 6 Shiawase. 7. Crystal Waltz 8. Tocoyo 9. Ke Ao 10. Megumi no Hagoromo-Hirara 11. LoveSong# 12. Timelessly
First album of the Sandii and Bun project, featuring the vocals of Sandii and the kalimba of Bun. 14 new tracks.
1. Lalani 2. Dripping Cristals 3. Hi Hi Hi Hi 4. Mustafa 5. Shanti 6. Pema - Kizuki no Hana 7. Fly so high - Tenshi no Kioku 8. Payaka 9. Wake up to Dream 10. Up on a Lotus 11. Kabira 12. Wish - Soshite Chikazuku Nagareboshi 13. Dream Time 14. Megami no Hakarai
So called 'theraputic' hula songs, especially recommended for hula dance beginners.
1. Kimo Hula 2. Pauoa Liko Ka Leua 3. Puamana 4. Noho Paipai 5. Kimi to Itsumademo - Forever More 6. Straight From Hawaii To You 7. Vahine Tapone, Monkey Man, Chinnuku Jushi, Itta Anma Maakaigaa 8. Rhapsody Lani
Aina o Ka Pua
2009 Sandii solo Hawaiian album, this one of traditional hula songs.
1. Waikiki 2. Ku'u Ipo I Ka He'e Pu'e One 3. Hanalei Moon 4. Hanalei Moon 5. Out I 6. Ulalena 7. Kaimuki Hula 8. Aina O Ka Pua
Oct. 29 2008 - Live in Yokohama - Thumbs Up (2 CDs)
Sweet Hollyawaiians are Japanese hot string band who play 20s and 30s Hawaiian music, with swing, calypso, ragtime and other influences. They invoke the music of guitar virtuosos such as Sol Hoopii, Eddie Lang and others playing guitar, ukulele, mandolin, banjo, bass and mandola. The level of musicianship is quite remarkable, and they have been garnering a reputation in Japan and around the world. This is a 2 CDR set, recorded live in Yokohama in October 2008.
CD1. 12th Street Rag 2. Ticklin' the Strings 3. Singin' the Blues 4. Ten Tiny Shoes 5. Sing Sing Sing 6. Spaghettie Rag 7. Louisville Special 8. St. Louis Blues 9. Caravan 10. Milenberg Joys
CD2. 1. Tarantola 2. Kohala March 3. I Like You 4. Hawaiian Medley 5. Singin' the Blues 6. Rose Room 7. Rum & Cola 8. Aloha Means I Love You 9. Hula Girl 10. Sweet Sue - Just You
Oct. 30 2008 - Live in Shimokitazawa, Tokyo - La Cana (2 CDs)
Sweet Hollywaiians play 20s and 30s Hawaiian music, swing jazz, ragtime, manouche swing and more Hollywood style.
CD1. 1. Ticklin' the Strings 2. Honolulu Stomp 3. Ten Tiny Shoes 4. St. Louis Blues 5. U'i Lani 6. Maile Swing 7. Singin' the Bathtub 8. Milenberg Joys 9. 12th Street Rag
CD2. 1. I Can't Give You Anything But Love 2. Louisville Special 3. I Like You 4. Singin' the Blues 5. Rose Room 6. Sweet Sue - Just You 7. Caravan 8. Aloha Means I Love You 9. Hula Girl 10. Rum & Coca Cola
ELLI + KATZ + NORY
Elli, Katz and Nory are two men and one woman who play the ukulele and sing. They perform a wide range of music from jazz, rock and pop to Japanese style pop, kayokyoku. 11 tracks.
ALANI OHANA BAND
The Alani Ohana Band are a group of Japanese musicians, under the leadership of Yuki Alani Yamauchi (slack key guitar, steel guitar) plus Kiyoshi Kobayahi on ukulele, singer Meg and Takashi 'Taka-Chang' Yoshida on bass. They play Japanese pop songs from the 1950s to the 1980s, in an Hawaiian style. Tracks include Ginza Kankan Musume, Tenshi no Yuwaku, Seto no Hanayome, Tokyo Boogie Woogie, Oyome ni Oide, Akogare no Hawaii- Koro, Vacation and Toshi Shita no Otokonoko.
All About Dick Mine
Dick Mine was a star of jazz Hawaiian with kayokyoku (Japanese pop). This album compiles his tracks from 1964 to 1983 including until now unreleased tracks either on record or CD. 2 CDs 36 tracks digitally remastered including Dinah, Shanghai Lil, Aozora no Hawaii, Tell Me, La Mona, Shanghai Blues. 4 bonus tracks at the end are of older material released originally on 78s.
Daizenshu - Greatest Hits
In 1944, the Japanese authoritities outlawed the steel guitar. Setsuo Ohashi was instrumental in popularizing Hawaiian music again following the war with his excellent steel guitar. This definitive 2 CD set is of 44 of his most popular hits, both Hawaiian and originals.
MOANA GLEE CLUB
The History of Moana Glee Club, 1936-1950
One of the most famous Japanese bands playing Hawaiian music during the 30s -50s Hawaiian boom.Vocals, steel guitars, delightful. Click here to email for availability
SETSUO OHASHI & BUCKIE SHIRAKATA
Steel guitarists Setsuo Ohashi and Bucky Shirahata are two legends of Hawaiian music in Japan. Shirahata an Hawaiian nisei first came to Japan in 1933 and was the first to bring the electric steel guitar to Japan. Following the war, they both helped to popularize Hawaiian music. This album was recorded in 1990 and has been re-released in commemeration of the passing of Setsuo Ohashi in 2006. 15 tracks.
Moana Nui - Sandii's Tahitian Passions 2
Sandii's latest album is of traditional Tahitian songs, with a lot of Hawaiian crossover- the album being recorded in Hawaii. Up to her usual high standard.
1. HaliHali Ke'ao 2. Tropical Dream - Ite Haamataraa 3. Moana Nui 4. Ua Ama Te Mori 5. Maita'i Tahiti 6. Ia Maramarama i Te Po 7. Te Ani Nei 8. Seto no Hanayome 9. Tahirihiri 10. Bora Bora e 11. Mohi Mohi 12. Manea 13. To Tine e 14. Pirae 15. Vahine Tapone - Monkey Man 16. Matahiti Api 17. Karau Katika 18. Tamure Tamure 19. Otu'I 20. Mauruuru a Vau 21. Puari'i - Shaq's Prayer 22. Hyokkori Hyotan Jima. (Bonus Track).
Sandii's Hawaii 4th
Fourth album in Sandii's Hawaiian series was recorded in Hawaii and focuses on traditional and contemporary hula standards. Features Yuki Yamauchi in a relaxed setting and vibe. 21 tracks. 1. Noho Paipai 2. Hula Lady 3. He Aloha Mele 4. Honolulu Ka'a 5. Ku'u Ipo I Ka He' e Pu' e One 6. Wahine Ilikea 7. Hanalei Moon 8. White Ginger Blossoms 9. He Aloha Na O Honolulu 10. Aloha Kaua' I 11. Ka Uluwehi O Ke Kai 12. Sophisticated Hula 13. Honolulu 14. Punalu ' U 15. Pauoa Liko Ka Lehua 16. Lei Nana 17. Pepelina Lahilahi 18. Welina O' Ahu 19. Hapa Haole Hula Girl - I Wonder Where My Little Hula Girl Has Gone - Hula Lolo 20. Hi Ilawe 21. Straight From Hawaii to You - E Ku' u Sweet Lei Poina ' Ole.
Sandii's Tahitian Passions
Sandii has recorded several Hawaiian albums over the years. Those albums included some Tahitian songs, which are compiled onto this CD together with some new recordings, previously unreleased, including a cover of Misako Koja's Okinawan ballad Warabi Gami. 17 tracks. 1. He Mele He'e Nalu 2.He Mele Keia No Hokule'a 3.Te Reo Maru 4.No Hea Mai 5.Manuia! Manuia! 6.Warabu Gami - Te'e'a 7.Tahiti Tahiti 8.Otea Kailua 9. La Vai Hoe 10.'Ia orana 'Oe 11.Adventures In Paradise-Follow Me 12.Te Manu Pukarua -Tahiti Nui 13.Tiare Toporo 14.In The Summertime - Pakakina 15.Roiti 16.Tuku Atu - Vini Vini 17.Tiare
SANDII WITH THE COCONUT CUPS
Mele O Aloha
Second and long awaited album from Sandii and her Coconut Cups. Her backing group includes Japan's finest Hawaiian musicians, including Yuki Yamauchi and Genichi Tamura plus from Singapore John Lee - brother of Dick Lee. Songs include Sophisticated Hula, The Moon of Manakoora, Sweet Leilani, Hawaiian Paradise, plus original songs and covers of Japanese luminaries Haruomi Hosono (ex YMO) and Tatsuro Yamashita.
Sandii's Lemurian Heart
The new album from the fantastic Sandii is one her best ever. Mainly Hawaiian, there are also Tahitian, Okinawan, Calypso and other influences. Songs include wonderful versions of 'Silly Games' and 'Lambada', plus original and Hawaiian songs. The impressive list of collaborators includes producer Takuji Aoyanagi (ex-Little Creatures) plus Yuki Yamauchi, Takashi Hirayasu, Gen-ichi Tamura and Herb Ohta. Brilliantly produced the album is a spellbinding blend of sounds perfect for a summer's day.
The wonderful Sandii covers 60s western pop hits in Japan which were sung in Japanese. Each track is a duet with another musician playing ukulele, among them Yuki Yamauchi, Genichi Tamura and Ota san. Top quality singing as ever from Sandii.
SANDII WITH THE COCONUT CUPS
Sandii with The Coconut Cups
Brilliant album of Sandii and her dancers and backing group the Coconut Cups, featuring Sandii's brilliant voice, ukulele and other Hawaiian backing on seventeen traditional, modern and Japanese songs.
Aloha + Haisai, fascinating CD that explores the strong links between the islands of Okinawa and Hawaii. Hawaiian and Okinawan mixtures such as second generation Okinawans in Hawaii singing Okinawan tunes or Okinawan musicians singing Hawaiian influenced tunes, from the 1950s until the present day. 14 tracks, artists include Masao Teruya, Rikki, Makoto Kubota & Yuyake Gakudan, Rinken Teruya & Tomoko Uehara, Sachiko Shima, Clara Shinkawa, Japonesian Band, Tomoaki Maekawa and the songs include Asadoya Yunta, Horehore Bushi, Hawaii Ondo, Honolulu Kouta, Haisai Ojisan, Hawaii Koshin-kyoku and Agarisachi.
The prolific Yuki Alani Yamauchi, producer of ex-sumo wrestler turned singer Konishiki, collaborator and instigator of several other projects plays ukulele, steel guitar and slack key guitar with guest singers Maki Uehara from Hawaiiana and Yumi Ishikawa from Aloha Sisters and on percussion, Ann-San.
Hawaiian Guitar Man
Yuki plays Hawaiian songs unfortunately dubbed as AOR from the late 70s to early 80s.
Slack Key Party
Excellent Hawaiian slack key guitar album that encompasses other styles, including Brazilian, blues and Caribbean.
Yuki Alani Yamauchi Presents..The History of Hawaiian Music
Interesting CD featuring artists including Sol Hoopi, Andy Iona, Lena Machado,Gabby Pahinui, Kalama's Quartet and Yuki Yamauchi and Aloha Friends.
Rakuen no Niji
Mixture of Hawaiian and Okinawan songs, featuring singers Maki Uehara (also of Hawaiiana) and Makico Miyara plus Gerhen Oshima (also Tingara) and the omni-present Yuki Yamauchi. Second album 12 tracks including Aloha Oe, Pua Mae 'ole from Hawaii and Okinawan classics Hana and Asadoya Yunta.
YUKI YAMAUCHI & MAKI UEHARA
Hawaiiana - Classic Suite
Classical Hawaiian song collection, featuring Hawaiian versions of Satie, Vivaldi, Handel and Bach, and classical Hawaiian music by Charles King, Helen Desher Beamer, and Queen Lili'uokalani. Played on slack key guitar, ukuleles and other Hawaiian instrumentation.
YUKI YAMAUCHI & MAKI UEHARA
Hawaiiana - Classic Suite 2
Volume 2 in similar vain to volume 1 if of Western classical music done Hawaiian style.
YUKI YAMAUCHI & MAKI UEHARA
Hawaiiana - Bossa Nova Suite
Yuki Yamauchi is best known as Japan's foremost Hawaiian slack key guitarist, and student of the slack key master Ray Kane. On this album Yamauchi joins singer (and dancer) Maki Uehara to play a play 'bossa nova hula' which are mainly tunes by the legendary Brazilian Tom Jobim.
YUKI "ALANI" YAMAUCHI
That's My Story - Plays The Slack Key Guitar
Alani is considered to be one of the finest slack key players outside of Hawaii. Excellent recording, masterful performance.
HERB OHTA AND EDDIE KAMAE
Ukulele Masters In Japan 1960-1964
Herb Ohta is today one of Hawaii's greatest ukulele players who studied under the legendary Eddie Kamae (Sons of Hawaii). This wonderful reissue CD from mainly 2 LPs, featuring16 'Ohta san' tracks and 10 from Eddie Kamae, the true master, playing Hawaiian tunes and even Rachmaninoff. Click here to email for availability
Ukulele player Herb Ohta's latest album with jazz and bossa nova flavours.
HERB OHTA AND LYLE RITS
Two veterans of the Hawaii music scene get together to play mainly American standards. Click here to email for availability
HIDEAKI KONNO meets PARDON KIMURA
Solo ukulele album from vocalist of Japanese rocksteady group Rocking Time. Konno plays reggae (Kingston Town) calypso, soul (You Send Me) Hawaiian (Pua Lililehua) pop (Jealous Guy) and his own tunes on ukulele. Instrumentals and songs. Joining him on a few tunes is excellent bassist Takayoshi Matsunaga (Mute Beat).
KAMA AINA / R.T. / MOOSE HILL
Excellent collaboration album featuring Takuji Aoyagi of Little Creatures and Double Famous calling himself Kama Aina (Hawaiian for lslander) a guitarist who lends his hand to virtually any stringed instrument. On this Hawaiian themed album he is joined by two other guitarists R.T. (Ren Takada) who has played with Haruomi Hosono and Moose Hill (Goro Ito). Recorded i n Tokyo and Hawaii.
KAMA AINA / R.T. / MOOSE HILL
Their second collaborative album has a more relaxing feeling. All tracks recorded in Hawaii.