EMIKO & KIRISUTE GOMEN
Based in France, four Japanese musicians, plus French musician Julien Omeyer and other French guests play traditional folk songs (minyo) with a psychedelic surf rock spirit. Great vocals from Emiko Ota plus shamisen, guitars, drums and other instruments combine to form a unique sound, identifiably Japanese, but unlike else. Traditional and folk songs from all over Japan (Kumamoto, Okinawa, Fukushima, Miyagi, Hokkaido) plus other types of Japanese music from 1950s-1970s. Listen to sound samples of all tracks.
1. Sho-ten 2. Otemoyan (part 4) 3. Koi 4. Nonnoko 5. Arashi 6. Natsu 7. Aizu 8. RokuRockubi 9. Pig 10. Saitara 11. ZuiZui 12. Warabi 13. Solan 14. Tonight 15. Lemon (Live)
Modern Shakuhachi Method
CDR-re-release of 1972 album, with shakuhachi accompanied by drums and piano on renditions of hit songs of the day.
1. El Condor Pasa 2. Melody Fair 3. Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head 4. Hey Jude 5. Love Story 6. Born Free 7. Mamy Blue 8. Sound Of Silence The 9. More 10. Love Is Blue 11. Alfie 12. Du Soleil Plein Les Yeux
Miyagi Michio as Performed by Ando Masateru Vol. 4
Ando Masateru plays the music of his teacher the late and great Michio Miyagi.
1. Onoe no Matsu 2. Mizu no Tama 3. Konkai
Namino Torii Koto Kumiuta Vol. 4 (2 CDs)
Latest in the series of Kumiuta, a set of songs played solo. More important pieces from the Kumiuta repertory by Kengyo Yatsuhashi.
CD1. 1. Kokoro Tsukushi 2. Kumo no Ue 3. Sueno Matsu 4. Kumousai
CD2. 1. Hagoro Monokyoku 2. Akikaze no Kyoku 3. Toriyu Ushikigenji
Second album, following on from her highly regarded fist album 10 years ago. Chie Hanawa, born in 1982, is a Tsugaru Shamisen player, who was the youngest ever national women's champion aged 17. Tsugaru shamisen mixed with jazz, shakuhachi, marimba and other instruments and styles.
1. Opening 2. Yoru Omofu Kimi No Yume 3. Honey 4. Asian Blue 5. Pavilion 6. Waltz For Debbie 7. Ito 8. Senjou No Merry Christmas 9. Fuuka 10. Iso Bushi 11. Tsugaru Jongara Bushi 12. Xperiance 13. Kanata
Pictures at an Exhibition - Ultimate Edition (SACD Hybrid) (4.0ch Surround Sound)
Originally released in 1975, follow up to Snowflakes are Dancing. Versions of Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition. Carefully and painstakingly constructed with a bigger sound than before. Comes with bonus track of Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade and J.S. Bach's The Sea Named Solaris.
1- 11, Pictures at an Exhibition (Mussorgsky) Bonus tracks 12. Scheherazade (Rimsky Korsakov) 13. The Sea Named Solaris (JS Bach)
Ichiro Plays Soul Music Jazz Live
Long awaited live album by highly sought after soul jazz pianist Ichiro Ono, who has played with many artists down the years. Also features Naoki Furukawa (double bass) and Kan Totsuka (drums).
1. Isn't She Lovely 2. Soul Power 3. Lovin' You 4. What's Going On 5. Feel Like Makin' Love 6. Loving You Was Like A Party 7. Amazing Grace- Stand By Me 8. It's Too Late 9. When A Man Loves A Woman 10. He's Misstra Know-It-All 11. Ichiro's Ballads 12. Don't Know Why 13. Can't Heip Falling In Love
Koshi Miura started out in a breakbeat unit in 1998. In collaborating with various musicians, he shfted his music emphasis to a more rock and pop side with his own album in 2004 chosen as the best rock album of the year by Muisc Magazine. He signed to Ryuichi Sakamoto's label Commmons in 2006 and has performed at many music festivals such as Rising Sun and Count Down. Has contributed to cover and remix albums of Haruomi Hosono. Hiphop, soul, house, techno, jazz and more.
The Songs of the Civil Rights Movement of the Meiji Period (1868-1926) in Japan.
During the The Meiji Period (1868-1912) and following Taisho period (1912-1926), Japan moved from an isolated feudal society to a modern country. These fundamental changes of social structure, economy, military etc.also gave rise to a Civil Rights Movement in Japan for democracy, civil and other rights. The movement prompted the Meiji government to establish a constitution in 1889 and was partially a success. During this time, folk songs depicted this Civil Rights Movement, here interpreted by Toshiyuki Tsuchitori, a veteran percussion player who has played by Ryuichi Sakamoto and many others. He has previously interpreted ancient Japanese music, as well as the songs of the political activist Azenbo Soeda. Wonderful and fascinating.
1. Miyako Fu-ryu Tonyare Bushi 2. Shosei Bushi (Yosakoi Bushi) 3. Minken Kazoeuta 4. Taikyo Don Don Bushi 5. Dinamite Bushi 6. Oppeke Pee Bushi 7. Yattsukero Bushi 8. Kairyo Bushi 9. Giin (Kinbu Bushi) 10. Mucha Kucha Bushi 11. Hookai Bushi 12. Denkasho Bushi 13. Ashio Kozan Rappa Bushi 14. Ah Kakumei wa Chikazukeri
SOUL FLOWER UNION
The Best of Soul Flower Union 1993-2013 (3 CDs)
20 year anniversary album. 33 tracks from throughout their career on CDs 1 and 2 and dub versions on CD 3. One of Japan's best rock bands in recent history, always developing their sound, taking risks and supporting many good causes.
1. Mononoke To Asobu Niwa 2. Kagerou No Kuni.namari No Uta 3. Mangetsu No Yuube 4. Repun Kamuy 5. Higurashi 6. Umi Yukaba Yama Yukaba Odorukabane 7. Eejanaika 8. Heiwa Ni Ikiru Kenri 9. Cosmic Futen Swing 10. Shio No Michi 11. Kaze No Ichi 12. Horizon March 13. Senka No Kanata 14. Blue Monday Parade 15. Survivors` Banquet 16. Satsujinkyou Roulette 17. Arechi Nite
1. Seiki No Serenade 2. Free Balloon 3. Sora-this Sky Is Linked With That Sky 4. All Songs Go Forward To Freedom ! 5. All Quiet On The Far Eastern Front!? 6. Kamidanomi Yori Yasuagari 7. Matsubazue No Otoko 8. La Vie Est Belle- Life Is Beautiful 9. Negao Wo Misete 10. Umi He Yuku 11. Gekkou Fanfare 12. Lucy No Kodomotachi 13. Shinu Made Ikiro! 14. Dance Ha Kikai Kintou 15. Kiseki No Nagisa 16. Odore!odorasareru Mae Ni
1. Big Apple-c.r.a.c. Dub 2. Aqua Vite-dub`s Look Into The Reality Dub 3. Matsubazue No Otoko-naniwasuji Dub 4. Odore!odorasareru Mae Ni-stand Against Racism Dub 5. Dance Ha Kikai Kintou-uchida Naoyuki No Ekkyou Dub Bon Uta Hen 6. Senkou Hanabi-sokabe Keiichi No Senjou Dub Bon Uta Hen 7. Henoko Bushi 8. Eejanaika-takkyuu No Gokudou Denshi Bon Uta Hen
TAKASHI SEKIGUCHI, TAKASHI KOGO, YUTAKA WATANABE, MASAKI YOSHIMI
Bamboo from Asia
Bamboo from Asia are a group of Japanese musicians who, who as you might expect, play different bamboo instruments, from Japan, India, Indonesia, Thailand, China and other countries. They made their first record back in 1993, and this is only their third full album. It was well worth the wait and this is a high quality concoction of sounds, beautifully played and recorded. One of the few and best attempts to combine traditional instruments from eastern Asia together to form a coherant sound. Listen to samples of all nine tracks.
Project featuring Shunsuke Kimura (shamisen) with Shingo Ikegami (koto, kokyu) and Kuniko Obina (koto). Superb album of contemporary roots music with violin, percussion, and a variety of moods and sounds. Listen to samples of all 10 tracks.
MIHO ASHIGAKI, KOMEI ASHIGAKI
Michio Miyagi Collection 4
Features koto and shamisen player Miho Ashigaki, accompanied by shakuhachi player Komei Ashigaki. Collection of Michio Miyagi compositions including Haru no Umi. Listen to samples of all nine tracks.
TERUO FURUYA, KAZUSHI MADAMA, KAORU KAKIZAKAI
Wonderful album of three shakuhachi players. Beautifully played and recorded. Teruo Furuya (born 1949) studied under Katsuya Yokoyama and is one of the most respected shakuhachi players in Japan today, teaching at NHK Culture Centre, at universities and the international arm of Yokoyama's school, and has taught many foreign students of shakuhachi. Five tracks, listen to samples of all.
SATOSHI NAKAMURA, YUTAKA WATANABE, MASA OYA
Echoes of Mountain
Collaboration of Satoshi Nakamura (saxophone), Yutaka Watanabe (shakuhachi) and guitarist Masa Oya and featuring piano too. Mostly gentle, lilting melodies. Five tracks.
TATARA TOKI, KEI MATSUO, YU HATAKEYAMA
Features shinobue (Japanese flute) player Toki Tatara, with another flute player Kei Matsuo and also features percussionist Yu Hatakeyama. 10 tracks. Listen to samples.
Shakuhachi players accompanied by violin, koto, shamisen and percussion. Five tracks including covers of pop tunes.
Ryu no Koe (The Echo of Dragon Singing)
First album from shinobue (flute) player who was a member of taiko group Kodo for 14 years. Abe also plays nohkan flute and taiko, and is accompanied by shamisen and piano.
1. Ishizuchi 2. Relation 3. The Echo of Dragon Singing 4. Border 5. Misaka Mago-uta 6. Komatsu-bayashi 7. Eternity 8. Lullaby for Ryuta
NOLENNIU DE OSSI
Nichijou-no-naka-no-Hinichijou (The Extraordinary In The Daily Life)
NolenNiu-de-Ossi are a slightly wacky, highly entertaining duo playing traditional Japanese and western instruments featuring Yasushi Kita (guitar, shamisen, vocals) and Toruko on piano, accordion and vocals. Their name comes from an old Japanese proverb meaning, 'pushing through a curtain that has no resistance' which they interpret as 'going their own way'. Rhythmical, melodic and great fun. This is a live album, recorded in Nara on 27th July 2013, and features Takashi Toshimori on mandolin and nohkan flute player Kazunari Abe (ex Kodo).
1. Moyuru-aosa, kokoro-ni-doku-wo 2. Susuki-ni-kakurete 3. Nishi-wo-mezashite 4. Koji-gakure 5. Sekibetsu-no-uta 6. Rakuen-no-kyoukaisen 7. Hyakunichi-sou 8. Kori-no-souretsu 9. Shinchu-circus 10. Danshi-setsuna 11. Ookami-henge
Oyama Yutaka I
Yutaka Oyama is a third generation tsugaru shamisen player of the Oyama school, and started learning shamisen from his grandfather. He has developed his own sound, that incorporates electronic sounds with guitar, violin and other instruments, into a cool, oriental mix.
1. Chouda Kokon 2. Tsugaru Ohara Bushi Solo 3. Akita Nikata Bushi 4. Koyal 5. Tsugaru Aiya Bushi Solo 6. Kokiriko Bushi 7.Tsugaru Jongara Bushi Solo 8. Komorebi No Uta
ROSETAYU TOYOTAKE, SEIJI TSURUSAWA
Sanjusangendo Munagi no Yurai - Gidayu by Rosetayu Toyotake and Seiji Tsurusawa
Rosetayu Toyotake (born 1965) won the 2013 Japan Traditional Cultures Foundation Award, and is considered to be the new leading tayu (vocalist who recites the gidayu script of bunraku plays). In Bunraku, the tayu uses his vocal virtuosity to recite the puppet characters and the narrative descriptions of the scenes. He is accompanied by Seiji Tsurusawa on shamisen, a Living National Treasure. Performed July 2013 in Tokyo. Comes with English liner notes.
The World of the Zen Music Shakuhachi Music from Edo Kinko school -The Voices of Deer Heard from Afar
Album of pure zen style shakuhachi by virtuoso Akikazu Nakamura. Nakamura has played in various styles with different musicians from around the world, but its this raw form of solo shakuhachi that is at his core as a performer.
Includes English liner notes.
1. Shika No Tone 2. Koku Reibo 3. Sokaku Reibo 4. Yugure No Kyoku 5. Shin No Kyorei 6. Tsuki No Kyoku
Quintessential Shakuhachi -Complete Repertory of The Myoan Taizan School (4 CDs)
The third Shoda Sakai was born in 1940 and learned from his own father. He learnt the pieces on this CD, classical honkyoku, from Ryoan Koizumi, consisting of the entire repertory of the Kyoto Myoan Taizan sub-school. Wonderful recordings and a real treasure chest of shakuhachi music.
Comes with English liner notes.
1. Asuka-reibo 2. Sashi 3. Takanesashi 4. Nerisashi 5. Murasaki No Kyoku 6. Oshu-reibo 7. Hifumicho 8. Kyushu-reibo 9. Hachigaeshi No Kyoku 10. Shizu No Kyoku 11. Takiochi No Kyoku 12. Yoshiya No Kyoku 13. Sanya No Kyoku 14. Oshu-nagashi
1. Akita-no-kyoku 2. Koro-sugagaki 3. Monkai No Kyoku 4. Azuma No Kyoku 5. Renbo-nagashi 6. Koden: Suzuru 7. Shinya No Kyoku 8. Kumoi No Kyoku
1. Shika No Tone 2. Tsuru No Sugomori 3. Sakaejishi 4. Honte-choshi 5. Sankyorei: Kyorei 6. Sankyorei: Koku 7. Sankyorei: Mukaiji
1. Mutsu-reibo 2. Hokyo-koku 3. Akebono No Shirabe 4. Yamato-choshi 5. Ryugin-koku 6. Kosho-koku 7. Dako No Kyoku 8. Hotaku 9. Chikushi-reibo 10. Aji No Kyoku
Koto Recital - Brilliante
From Fukushima City, Chiaki Endo began learning koto from her mother aged three. She has gone on to win numerous awards and accoloades, and now holds the title of Grand Master of the Ikuta School Miyagi Koto Association. Koto plus shamisen, western flute and some vocals.
1. London No Yoru No Ame 2. Izayoi-koto To Shakuhachi No Tame No 3. Sarashi Gensoukyoku Dai 1 Gakushou 4. Sarashi Gensoukyoku Dai 2 Gakushou 5. Sarashi Gensoukyoku Dai 3 Gakushou 6. Yaegoromo 7. Tegoto 1 Tegoto 8. Tegoto 2 Kumiuta Fuu 9. Tegoto 3 Rinzetsu
Sandii's Christmas Hawaii - Sandii's Hawaii 6th
Older, long time unavailable recordings and new recordings combined on new Christmas album. Features Makoto Kubota, Yuki Yamauchi, Yoichi Ikeda (Blue Asia), Rene Paulo and others. Beautifully recorded and performed.
1. Portal -Ka`i 2. Christmas In Hawai'i 3. Spring Spends The Winter In Hawai'i 4. Twelve Days Of Christmas 5. Mele Hula Kali Kimaka 6. Last Christmas 7. Santa's Hula
8. Mele Kalikimaka 9. Jingle Bell Rock 10. White Christmas 11. The Christmas Song 12. Jingle Bells 13. Po La`i E 14. Remember Me, Santa 15. O 'Oe 'Io 16. Portal -Ho`i
Touge no Wagaya (2 SHM-CDs)
Originally released in 1986. Features Ryuichi Sakamoto and Yukihiro Takahashi together with various New York musicians. CD2 is of out take versions of seven tracks. CD1 nine tracks.
Aragehonzi's first album released in 2011.
1. Akatsuki (Introduction) 2. Taiyo no Managu 3. Ai ya Shinku ni Shiroi Yuri 4. Heisei Akita Banzai 5. Mahiru no Yume 6. Ame no Ato 7. Sen no Aki to Ichiya no Inori 8. Akita Ondo 9. Ringo Oiwake 10. Kawaigaranse 11. Nagamochi Uta
Second album by the much touted band Aragehonzi, playing 'Omatsuri Rock'. Lead by Masafumi Saito (vocal, guitar) from Akita, the nine piece group plays their own mixture music of Japanese minyo with rock, soul, funk, reggae, afro beat, Brazilian and Japanese pop. Recommended.
1. Tokyo Native Time 2. Kaga Haiya 3. Samidori no Oka 4. Yorokobi Mai 5. Saitaro Bushi 6. Soma Bonuta 7. Ryusei no Toiki 8. Takarakaze 9. Toyama Bushi
AKIRA KATOGI, SHUNSUKE KIMURA, ETSURO ONO, KUNIKO OBINA
Four musicians from different traditions in unique combination. Akira Katogi was a member of taiko group Ondekoza, while Etsuro Ono and Shinsuke Kimura are an acclaimed shamisen duo. Kuniko Obina is a well known koto player.
Kinpu-Ryu Shakuhachi Collection - Old Recording in Tsugaru (2 CDs)
2 CD collection of Kinpu-Ryu shakuhachi from Aomori, northern Japan. Ultra rare recordings from before and after World War II, performed by Kinpu-Ryu masters such as Kyokuei Nagano, Nyogetu Orito, Hougetsu Shibata.
New album dedicated to Katsuya Yokoyama (1934-201), one of the greatest ever shakuhachi players and teacher of Ishikawa. Played on shorter and longer shakuhachi than the standard size.
1. Yamagoe 2. Ukigumo 3. Tsuru no Sugomori (Oushu-den) 4. Sanan 5. Kumoi Shishi 6. Reibo 7. Hifumi Hachigaeshi 8. Kudariba 9. Temukai
Samurai Sessions Vol.1
We don't normally bother selling mainstream rock or pop, but we'll make an exception, mainly because we've been asked for this album. Dubbed the 'Samurai Guitarist' Miyavi plays electric guitar in his own 'slap' style. He has played around the world, over 200 shows in 30 countries. This CD features Miyavi in various collaborations, some artists that might appeal to a Far Side customer. These include shamisen player Hiromitsu Agatsuma, flamenco style guitarist Jin Oki, Okinawan breakbeat duo Hifana, and Miu Sakamoto.
1. Miyavi vs Hifana - Ganryu 2. Miyavi vs Kreva - Strong 3. Miyavi vs, Yusek - Day 1 4. Miyavi vs Takeshi Hosomi - Silent Anger 5. Miyavi vs H Zett M - Pleasure 6. Miyavi vs Hiromitsu Agatsuma vs Jin Oki - Hanabi 7. Miyavi vs Seiji Kameda vs Miu Sakamoto - Inori Wo
Jin Oki is a Japanese flamenco guitarist album who studied under Victor Monge Seranito in Madrid. On this album he plays with eleven Japanese musicians for some really interesting collaborations. Musicians include Coba (accordion), Miyavi (guitar), Hiromitsu Agatsuma (shamisen) and Hideki Togi (hichiriki)
1. Monologo #1 2. Dansa-kimi To Nara (Coba) 3. Ai - Demasiado (Miyavi) 4. Four Seasons - Summer (Dai Kimura) 5. Oshi.oki Time (Kotaro Oshio) 6. Fantasma V (Hideki Togi) 07. Uzuki Hanaarashi (Hiromitsu Agatsuma) 8. Solea (Doroles Agureta) 9. Spain (Ryota Nozaki) 10. Scarborough Fair (Katsumi Watanabe) 11. Besame Mucho (Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra) 12. Monologo #2 13. Yane No Shita No Smile (Koji Tamaki)
Best of album of Ranko Fujisawa, who died in August 2013, the Japanese tango queen. Fujisawa had many fans in Argentina and this year marked the 65th since her first record. 2 CDs, 40 tracks.
1. La Cumparsita 2. Nostalgias 3. A Mi Madre 4. Jueves 5. Confesion 6. Mama Vieja 7. Naci En Tokio 8. Felicia 9. Bonboncito 10. Hasta Siempre Amor 11. Zorro Gris 12. Organito De La Tarde 13. El Choclo 14. Que Falta Que Me Haces 15. Plataforma De La Noche 16. El Panuelito 17. Carta Para Renee 18. Quedemonos Aqui 19. Frente Al Mar 20. Cristal 21. Recuerdo De Buenos Aires
1. Che.bandoneon 2. Balada Para Un Loco 3. A Media Luz 4. Patotero Sentimental 5. Y A Mi Que? 6. Mama Yo Quiero Un Novio 7. Yira Yira 8. Caminito 9.Chiquilin De Bachin 10. Sur 11. Mano A Mano 12. La Cumparsita 13. Adios Pampa Mia 14. Besame Mucho 15. Chiquilin De Bachin 16. Che.bandoneon 17. La Cumparsita 18. Balada Para Un Loco 19. Sur
Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence 30th Anniversary Edition (2 SHM-CDs) (Limited Edition)
Limited Edition 2 SHM CD (playable on standard CD players) 30 year anniversary edition of Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence. Remastered by Seigen Ono (who was an enginner on the original album) CD 2 features unreleased versions of tracks. Extensive liner notes written by Sound & Recording editor Kunizaka features interview with another original recording engineer Shinichi Tanaka. Cardboard sleeve, limited edition.
1. Merry Christmas Mr.Lawrence 2. Batavia 3. Germination 4. A Hearty Breakfast 5. Before The War 6. The Seed And The Sower 7. A Brief Encounter 8. Ride Ride Ride (Celliers` Brothers`s Song) 9. The Fight 10. Father Christmas 11. Dismissed! 12. Assembly 13. Beyond Reason 14. Sowing The Seed 15. 23rd Psalm 16. Last Regrets 17. Ride Ride Ride 18. The Seed 19. Forbidden Colours
1. Batavia 2. Merry Christmas Mr.Lawrence 3. Germination 4. Germination 5. The Seed And The Sower 6. M-7 Juusatsu 7. M-10 Furyo 8. The Seed And The Sower 9. A Brief Encounter 10. The Figh 11. Last Regrets 12. Father Christmas 13. Before The War 14. M-14 Kou 15. Dismissed! 16. Beyond Reason 17. M-29 Shokei Jou 18. The Seed 19. The Seed 20. Last Regrets 21. M-28 A Take 2 22. M-1 Free Time 23. 2 3rd Psalm 24. M-13 Kanemoto Seppuku 25. Ride Ride Ride 26. Merry Christmas Mr.Lawrence
Coda (SHM-CD) (Limited Edition)
Originally released in 1998, piano version of Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence soundtrack plus two original tracks, Japan and Coda. Remastered by Seigen Ono, cardboard sleeve limited edition SHM-CD.
Ryuichi Sakamoto Playing the Orchestra 2013
In May 2013 for the first time in sixteen years, Ryuichi Sakamoto played concert halls in Japan with a full orchestra. Released in December 2013 this CD is a selection of tracks from these concerts including Bibo no Aozora, Amore, Castalia, Happy End, Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence and Sheltering Sky. Full track listing to follow.
Ryuichi Sakamoto Ongaku de Tanoshimu Taiga Drama
Taiga drama, is Japan's national broadcaster NHK's annual, year-long historical drama. It began in 1963, and this year Ryuichi Sakamoto wrote the theme, Yae no Sakura, his latest album. On this album, Sakamoto compiles theme songs from taiga dramas down the years.
1. Minamotono Yoshitsune (1966) 2. Ryouma ga Yuku (1968) 3. Haru no Sakamichi (1971) 4. Kuni Tori Monogatari (1973) 5. Kashin (1977) 6. Kusa Moeru (1979) 7. Shishi no Jidai (1980) 8. Onna Taikouki (1981) 9. Sanga Moyu (1984) 10. (1986) Inochi 11.(1989) Kasuganotsubone 12. (1992) Nobunaga King of Zipangu 13. (1994) Hana no Run 14.(1997) Mouri Motonari 15. (1998) Tokugawa Yoshinobu 16. (2000) Aoi Tokugawa San Dai
Tribute to Taeko Onuki (2 CDs)
Tribute to female singer/songwriter who became known as one of the members of influential band Sugar Babe in the 1970s. Long time collaborator of Ryuichi Sakamoto who appears on this album together with Beatniks (Yukihiro Takahashi & Keiichi Suzuki), Hanaregumi, Kirinji, Kazufumi Miyazawa, Yumi Matsutoya, Tamio Okuda, Soutaiseiriron and more. Full track list to follow, released 27th November 2013.